- Common Errors in English Usage
- An alphabetical index of some the most common spelling and grammatical errors. Explanations are clear and concise. The information is compiled by Paul Brians, an English professor at Washington State University.
- Diagramming Sentences
- Illustrated guide showing how to diagram sentence types and parts and phrase configurations. Gives over fifty examples.
- Guide to Grammar and Style
An associate professor at Rutgers University lays out his guidelines for good writing. With concrete examples, including one from The Simpsons, an index and search engine, and a sense of humor, Dr. Lynch also includes an annotated bibliography. This is an excellent source for the writers of term papers.
- The Elements of Style
- The electronic version of the ultimate manual on English language usage and style, this is perhaps one of the most readable grammar books ever.
- Towson University Online Writing Support
- A comprehensive guide to grammar and punctuation, with clear explanations and examples of parts of speech, punctuation, usage, and sentence structure. Includes self-teaching units and accompanying exercises for those interested in brushing up their grammar skills.
maintained by the staff of the
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library