- Botanical.com: A Modern Herbal
- The Plant & Herb Index will provide you with more than 800 varieties of herbs and plants. The Index of Recipes has a listing of twenty-nine plants, fruits, and nuts with accompanying recipes, and the Index of Poisons consists of a listing of forty-four plants that are listed as poisonous.
- Dave's Garden
- Tabs at the top of the Dave's Garden site allow visitors to navigate this extensive gardening resource. Plant Files is a large database of plants, providing characteristics and photos inputted by users of the site. The Garden Watchdog categorizes over 4,000 vendors for many different gardening-related products and displays customer feedback about the companies. If you know exactly the plant or product you're seeking, Plant Scout allows you to search for all the companies that sell it. The site also recommends books, defines terms, hosts a trading forum for gardeners, and more.
- DIY-Do it Yourself Network
- This user-friendly website offers useful advice on all aspects of outdoor gardening including container gardening. Gives useful advice on plant selection and choosing a container.
- Drying Flowers and Foliage for Arrangements
- An overview of methods for drying flowers, the main essay on this page also addresses how to collect flowers and other plants for drying. A panel on the side of the Web site lists which flowers are most suitable for the methods of air-drying, pressing, glycerinizing, and burying.
- Gardening Resources: Your Portal to Gardening at Cornell
- Cornell University Department of Horticulture. Extensive information that includes vegetables, flowers, fruit, lawn, trees & shrubs, hosueplants, weather, soil & composting, and pests.
- Includes online magazine for the serious gardener; gardening forums, contests, and crossword puzzles; garden exchange and gardening tips; and links to plant suppliers and botanic gardens.
- Home Propagation of Houseplants
- Web site author Mary Ann Gowdy describes methods for multiplying houseplants including taking cuttings and techniques can be used for some specific houseplants.
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources: Invasive Species of Maryland
- For those concerned with preserving Maryland's native ecosystems, this website offers information on the management of invasive species and links to other resources from the department of Natural Resources.
- Maryland Native Plant Society
- The Web site for this convervation organization aims to inform visitors about protecing and restoring the unique and beautiful landscape native to Maryland. The site is substantial with links to informational resources, Web pages of similar organization, and a calendar of events.
- National Gardening Association
- Here you will find information on how to start, plant, care, and harvest your garden. The Zone map will help you to "to compare … garden climates with the climate where a plant is known to grow well." The Pest Control page will give you tips and let you view a photo index of all bugs.
- Native Plants for Wildlife Habitat and Conservation Lanscaping in Maryland
- Provides information about native plants that can be used for habitat restoration and natural or environmentally beneficial landscaping projects. All of the plants listed occur naturally in Maryland. The list is divided by region. Plants are grouped by plant type, then listed alphabetically by Latin name.
- The Taunton Press / Fine Gardening
- Information on how to build a container can be found here as well as advice on home to create plant or vegetable combinations. The pictures featured here will give you wonderful ideas for your own contrainer garden.
maintained by the staff of the
Business, Science & Technology Department,
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library