- Canyon Cinema
- Canyon Cinema's collection of more than 3500 films traces the history of experimental and avant-garde filmmaking from the 1930s to the present.
- Center for Visual Music
- This nonprofit film archive is dedicated to visual music, experimental animation and avant-garde media. DVDs for sale include work by important artists such as Jordan Belson, Stan Brakhage, Maya Deren, Oskar Fischinger, Fluxus, Barbara Hammer, Norman McLaren, Jonas Mekas, Grant Munro, and Suzan Pitt, among others.
- DVD Releases of Experimental and Avant Garde Film & Video
- Created by fiilmmaker and video artist Rohesia Hamilton Metcalfe, this page lists the key DVD labels (and some video labels) that have released artists' moving image work.
- Facets Multimedia
- Facets Multimedia, a video and DVD distributor specialising in world cinema, is one of the USA's largest distributors of foreign, classic, cult, experimental, and hard-to-find videos.
- Film-Makers' Cooperative
- The Film-Makers' Cooperative is the largest archive and distributor of independent and avant-garde films in the world. Created by artists in 1962, the Co-op has more than 5,000 films and videotapes in its collection.
- Flicker Experimental Film and Video
- This alternative cinema Web site offers films and videos that transgress the boundaries of the traditional viewing experience, challenge notions of physical perception and provide cutting edge alternatives to the media information technocracy. Flicker does not actually distribute tapes or DVDs, but has a long list of Web sites of contemporary experimental film and video artists.
- Kino on Video
- Kino was founded in 1977 as a distribution company specialising in world cinema. Their expansive DVD and video catalogue includes a substantial 3 volume set of avant-garde films from the 1920s - 1950s.
- Other Cinema
- The Other Cinema digital project provides an alternative platform for the distribution of extraordinary film works. They celebrate peculiar visions and offbeat sensibilities, drawn from the contemporary underground as well as the archives. Beat, auteur, exploitation, or industrial, Other Cinema aims to deliver a decidedly different audio-visual experience.
- UbuWeb: Film & Video
- UbuWeb presents hundreds of
avant-garde films and videos, most of which are not readily accessible, for
your viewing pleasure.. Many of these
titles are available in better quality versions from distributors noted on the
- Women Make Movies
- Established in 1972 to address the under-representation and misrepresentation of women in the media industry, Women Make Movies is a multicultural, multiracial, non-profit media arts organization which facilitates the production, promotion, distribution and exhibition of independent films and videos by and about women.
maintained by the staff of the
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library