For the safety of our customers, this service is currently unavailable. Read more about our available COVID-19 services and resources.
The Enoch Pratt Free Library is proud to offer a wide variety of accessibility services.
Services for People with Visual Disabilities
- A large catalog of large print books can be searched online, and can be sent to any Pratt Library location to pick up by request.
- Books-on-Tape and Books-on-CD are available at all Pratt locations.
- The following assistive devices for persons with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and all library branches:
- CCTV magnifier (Optelec Clearview) which magnifies a book or document onto a screen, in black letters on a white field, white letters on a black field, or in color. It can also read typed documents aloud. Earphones are included.
- Computers with JAWS and MAGic assistive software to access the Internet, all the Pratt Library databases, and Microsoft Office. JAWS is a screen reader software; MAGic is a screen magnifier. Earphones are included.
- The following assistive devices for persons with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and some branches:
- Computers with ZoomText assistive software to access the Internet, all the Pratt Library databases, and Microsoft Office. ZoomText software is a screen reader and magnifier. Earphones are included.
- SARA reading machine which reads aloud text from a book or document. Earphones are included (Central only).
- Magnifying glasses are available in several departments for public use.
Services for People who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- The Best and Next Department has closed-caption videos and DVDs for loan as well as a variety of sign language learning videotapes and DVDs.
- For public events, the Wheeler Auditorium has an audio loop amplification system which can help augment sound for those persons wearing hearing aids.
- Sign language interpretation for Library programs is available on request. Call (410) 396-5494 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, please allow ten business days for your request to be processed.
- The Library can also provide information on sign language interpreters in the area.
- Browse the Maryland Deaf Culture Digital Library.
Access to all Pratt agencies can be obtained through Maryland Relay by dialing #711 or 1-800-735-2258. All of these services are available during the Library's regular hours. For information, call (410) 396-5430.
Books By Mail
Books by Mail is a free service for library customers who reside in the City of Baltimore. Books are shipped free of cost and customers are only responsible for handling the return of their items. To initiate this service, contact the Circulation Department at (410) 396-5325.
ADA Accessible Library Locations
The following Pratt Library locations are ADA accessible.
* The Mobile Job Center is equipped with a fully functional handicap lift and is wheelchair accessible.
Mobile Job Center
The Mobile Job Center brings access to computers, books, and assistance for job seekers to communities across Baltimore city.