Services for People with Visual Disabilities
- A large catalog of large print books can be searched online, and can be picked up at any Pratt Library location.
- Books-on-Tape and Books-on-CD are available at all Pratt locations.
- The Library's DVD collection includes titles with descriptive audio.
- Computers with ZoomText, JAWS, and Fusion assistive software for people with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and all library branches. ZoomText software is a screen reader and magnifier, JAWS is a screen reader, and Fusion combines the two. Earphones are included.
- The following assistive devices for people with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and some branches:
- CCTV magnifier (Optelec Clearview+ Speech) which magnifies a book or document onto a screen, in black letters on a white field, white letters on a black field, or in color. It can also read typed documents aloud. Earphones are included.
- Computer with ZoomText, JAWS, and Fusion assistive software, and a large print keyboard. ZoomText software is a screen reader and magnifier, JAWS is a screen reader, and Fusion combines the two. Earphones are included.
- SARA reading machine which reads aloud text from a book or document (Central only). Earphones are included.
- Magnifying glasses are available in several departments for public use.
- The Maryland State Library For The Blind And Print Disabled is a free service that provides accessible reading options to Marylanders with print disabilities.
Services for People who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- The Library’s video and DVD collection includes titles with closed captioning. The collection also includes a variety of sign language learning videotapes and DVDs.
- Sign language interpretation for Library programs is available on request. Call Programs and Outreach at (410) 396-5494 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, please allow ten business days for your request to be processed.
- The Library can also provide information on sign language interpreters in the area.
- Browse the Maryland Deaf Culture Digital Library.
- Access to all Pratt agencies can be obtained through Maryland Relay by dialing #711 or 1-800-735-2258. All of these services are available during the Library's regular hours. For information, call Telephone Reference at (410) 396-5430.
Books By Mail
Books by Mail is a free service for library customers who reside in the City of Baltimore and who are unable to visit the library due to a permanent or temporary disability. Materials are shipped free of cost and customers are only responsible for handling the return of their items. To apply for this service, contact the Circulation Department at (410) 396-5325 or email@example.com.
Library Location Accessibility
Most Pratt locations are wheelchair accessible, as listed below. Please contact the location directly if you have further questions about the details of accessibility accommodations.
|Location||Is the building wheelchair accessible?||Are the meeting room(s) wheelchair accessible?|
|Forest Park ||yes*||no|
|Southeast Anchor Library||yes||yes|
|Washington Village||yes||no meeting room|
The Mobile Job Center is equipped with a fully functional platform lift and is wheelchair accessible.
*Restrooms may not be wheelchair accessible in these locations.
Mobile Job Center
The Mobile Job Center brings access to computers, books, and assistance for job seekers to communities across Baltimore city.
The Library comes to you with the Pratt Bookmobile, providing basic library services for all ages.