Services for People with Visual Disabilities
- Large print books may be found in some subject areas, and can be sent to any Pratt Library location to pick up by request. Search for large print books here
- Books-on-Tape and Books-on-CD are available at all Pratt locations.
- The following assistive devices for persons with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and all branches:
- CCTV magnifier (Optelec Clearview) which magnifies a book or document onto a screen, in black letters on a white field, white letters on a black field, or in color. It can also read typed documents aloud. Earphones are
- Computers with JAWS and MAGic assistive software to access the Internet, all the Pratt Library databases, and Microsoft Office. JAWS is a screen reader software; MAGic is a screen magnifier. Earphones are included.
The following assistive devices for persons with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and some branches:
Computers with ZoomText assistive software to access the Internet, all the Pratt Library databases, and Microsoft Office. ZoomText software is a screen reader and magnifier. Earphones are included.
SARA reading machine which reads aloud text from a book or document. Earphones are included. (Central only)"
- Magnifying glasses are available in several departments for public use.
All of these services are available during the Library's regular hours. For information on which locations offer these services, call 410-396-5430.
Services for People who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- The Best and Next Department has closed-caption videos and DVDs for loan as well as a variety of sign language learning videotapes and DVDs.
- For public events, the Wheeler Auditorium has an audio loop amplification system which can help augment sound for those persons wearing hearing aids.
language interpretation for Library programs is available on request.
Please allow ten business days for request. Call 410-396-5494 or email email@example.com.
- The Library can also provide information on sign language interpreters in the area.
Access to all Pratt agencies can be obtained through Maryland Relay by dialing #711 or 1-800-735-2258.
All of these services are available during the Library's regular hours. For information, call 410-396-5430.
Books By Mail
Books by Mail are sent to homebound library customers who reside in the City of Baltimore. To initiate this service, contact the Circulation Department at 410-396-5325.
Wheelchair-Accessible Library Locations
* The Mobile Job Center is equipped with a fully functional handicap lift and is wheelchair accessible.