- Arabic 2000 Online Arabic School
- Easy to use and interactive, this site has a free of cost section for those who want to learn the sounds of the Arabic alphabet, basic vocabulary such as "Hello," or learn a daily Arabic word. Also available are links to listen to Arabic television and radio.
- BBC Languages
- The BBC offers introductory multi-unit courses complete with audio/visual lessons and interactive exercises. Progress and scores can be tracked individually and more advanced study is available through videos, audio interviews, games and other exercises. A highly interactive and extensive collection of resources for the beginning student or traveler.
- Chinese Characters and Culture
- This site is excellent for those who are somewhat familiar with the Chinese language, including a Chinese chat room to practice in! There is a searchable dictionary in which you can enter an English word to get the Chinese equivalent. You can even get a Chinese name by filling out a brief form. Listen to Chinese poetry and folk tales, as well.
- English-Greek Word Search
- Translate English words into Greek. Search the dictionary to find English words that appear in definitions for Greek words. Includes hyperlinks to pertinent passages in classic Greek works. Maintained as part of the Perseus Project at Tufts University.
- English-Latin Word Search
- Translate English words into Latin. Search the dictionary to find English words that appear in definitions for Latin words. Includes hyperlinks to pertinent passages in classic Latin works. Maintained as part of the Perseus Project at Tufts University.
- This is a catalogue of more than 6,700 languages spoken in 228 countries. The Name Index lists over 39,000 language names, dialect names, and alternate names. It also organizes languages according to language families.
- FSI Language Courses
- The home for language courses developed by the Foreign Service Institute, which are now in the public domain. Each textbook has been scanned and is available as a PDF file, many enhanced by accompanying audio to help with pronunciation.
- Language Learning Library
- This introduction to various languages includes information on basic grammar, common phrases, telling time, and culture. Additionally, the dictionary feature links to several online translation tools.
- This is a sound-integrated website that focuses on vocabulary, grammar, and additional readings. Vocabulary words are grouped by parts of speech and have mouse roll-over audio pronunciation. Useful for review and as practice rather than a progressive course of instruction.
- Omniglot - Writing Systems & Languages of the World
- A fascinating Web site listing over 160 writing systems, their alphabets, variations, guide to phonetics, and history. Includes such languages as Yoruba, Kurdish, Hebrew, Klingon, various Runic systems, and others.
- Visual Link Languages
- Learn a new language with the vocabulary tools on Visual Link Languages. This site includes audio flash cards, blogs, and forums along with basic vocabulary.
maintained by the staff of the
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library