- AIM DocFinder
- This nifty database provides a joint search of 20 states' doctor licensing databases. AIM DocFinder includes links to the individual licensing Web sites for the states not participating in the joint search.
- AMA DoctorFinder
- The AMA DoctorFinder includes more than 810,000 licensed physicians in the U.S. and its posessions, including doctors of osteopathy (DO). However, AMA DoctorFinder requires users to enter a state (or a zip code) to perform a search and the entries for non-AMA members are extremely limited. Some of the members’ online entries include office hours, a practice philosophy statement, and types of insurance accepted.
- America's Best Hospitals
- Updated annually, this Web site from <i>U.S. News and World Report</i> ranks hospitals in seventeen specialties. One can browse rankings by medical specialty or search by specialty and/or location. More than 203 United States hospitals are included, winnowed down from more than 6,000.
- Find A Dentist
- Search for members of the Maryland State Dental Association.
- Find a Dentist/American Dental Association Member Directory
- Search this Web site for American Dental Association member dentists by name and state, or find specialists by searching by city, state, or zip code. Provides address, telephone number, e-mail address (if available), and office location map. This database does not give information about educational background.
- Hospital Compare
- From the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this Web site gives you information on how well specific hospitals compare with national averages in their treatment of adults with heart attack, heart failure, and pneumonia. Hospital’s death rates for heart attacks and heart failure is available.
- Maryland Board of Physicians Practitioner Profile System
- This database is from the state agency responsible for licensing physicians in Maryland. The entries include educational and certification information. The entries also contain limited information about disciplinary actions by medical boards as well as malpractice judgments and settlements.
- Maryland Hospital Guide
- The Hospital Guide is a tool for comparing and monitoring performance in Maryland hospitals. The Patient Guide helps you find a hospital that provides a high quality of care for a limited number of specific medical conditions or to compare hospital performance. Among the specific conditions included are heart and lung conditions, maternity care, newborn care, hip or knee replacements, and diabetes. There is also a pricing guide for the most common 15 inpatient diagnoses.
- MedlinePlus is a Web site developed by the National Library of Medicine to help consumers locate high quality health information online. Available in English and Spanish, it organizes selected links about more than 750 common diseases and conditions. It includes preformatted searches in the professional MEDLINE/Pubmed database to retrieve recent journal citations and abstracts on those diseases. Updated daily, there are also links to drug information, directories, news, organizations and an encyclopedia. This is the best consumer health site on the Web.
- Merriam-Webster Medical Dictionary on MedlinePlus
- This online medical dictionary allows you to use a wildcard character to help you look up words when you aren’t sure how to spell them or when you need to look up a partial word. If you misspell the word you are trying to look up, the program will automatically display a list of words that sound like or that are spelled similarly to the word you typed. If you aren't sure how to spell a word, try spelling it the way it sounds. The spelling help feature will looks for words that sound like one you have typed.
- NOAH: New York Online Access to Health
- NOAH (New York Online Access to Health) provides high quality health information in English and Spanish that is specifically geared for the consumer. Much of the information concentrates on care and treatment.
- Nursing Home Compare
- This U.S. government database summarizes information about the performance of every Medicare and Medicaid certified nursing home in the country.
- WebMD Physician Directory
- Searchable by zip code, state, and specialty, this Web site provides contact information for 400,000 clinically active doctors in the United States. You can limit your search to doctors that accept a specific type of insurance.
- General Proquest
- Periodical Abstracts Research One contains abstracts from over 1100 general and subject magazines from 1986 to the present. You may search through the contents of magazines such as Newsweek, New Yorker, Jet, Rolling Stone and Science News. With the database you can easily print out all the information you need for a bibliography.
- ReferenceUSA : Health Care Database
- Health Care Database, a ReferenceUSA product, is a directory database of 650,000 U.S. physicians and dentists. Search by name, location, primary specialty or combinations.
maintained by the staff of the
Business, Science & Technology Department,
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library