History of the Washington Village Branch
The Washington Village Branch is now in it's fourth location in the famous Pig Town Neighborhood where pigs were actually herded down Washington Blvd. on their way to the Light Street Slaughter House. The area is also now recognized as the Washington Village Community. The original building, located at the corner of Carroll and Barre Streets, was the old St. Peter's Catholic Church, which was converted into a library in 1914. The second location was a store front building in the 900 block of Washington Blvd. This location was destroyed by fire in the mid 1980's. There was a temporary branch established in the lobby of the Pig Town Bath House, where neighborhood residents actually came to take baths because many of the houses did not have bathtubs. The librar y and the City's Urban Services Office were housed in this location, which is a historical site. The present location is now open at 856 Washington Blvd. This building was formerly a Neighborhood Pub.