History of the Roland Park Branch
Opening in 1924 on land donated by the Roland Park Civic League, the Roland Park Branch is located in the business district of Roland Park near several schools, the post office and the neighborhood grocery store. In March 2006 we closed for a significant renovation and expansion of the library for which the Roland Park Library Initiative and the many, many supporters of the library raised more than $2 million. We reopened on December 17, 2007 to a great crowd of enthusiastic supporters. Thank you!
The renovation includes an expanded children’s area with a storytime space, a young adult section with tables and comfy chairs and a beautiful reading room for adults. We also have a Quiet/Study Room stocked with magazines and newspapers and a meeting room available to community groups.
In his 1930 annual report, branch librarian D. Royall Richards noted, “Trend in reading – Mystery and biography lead”. Reading trends and community support remain as wonderfully predictable as ever!