History of the Orleans Street Branch
Branch 5, North Broadway and Miller Street, opened in 1888, using the same plans as the first four branches. The branch served Johns Hopkins Hospital, Church Home, old Sinai and other hospitals, as well as many Bohemian immigrant families. The building continued in use until the new branch 5, Broadway and Orleans Street, opened February 1, 1971. It was designed by Morris H. Steinholm. A steel sculptural column was designed by Roger Majorowicz to stand in front of the building.