The Mencken Collection is divided into 8
areas. The following descriptions are not complete inventories but do give a strong introduction to the
vast material available.
A complete catalog is available in the H.L. Mencken Room,
and assistance is always available from the curator.
Mencken's Career - The renowned Baltimore journalist and critic had a long and friendly relationship with the Enoch Pratt Free Library. More about Mencken's Career
H.L. Mencken Room History - The Mencken Room houses
the most important Mencken collection in the world. Among its many
treasures are the books in Mencken's personal library. More about the Collection and its History
State Library Resources
- H.L. Mencken Digital Collection - photographs, drafts, letters and other memorabilia from Mencken's personal collection.
- Mencken at the Pratt Library -An interview with Vince Fitzpatrick, curator of the H.L. Mencken Collection.
- Mencken the Musician - (9:29 min) You may know Mencken as a writer and journalist, but he was also a music lover. Watch this video to learn more about his other life.
- R. F. Kniesche Photographs of Mencken - (finding aid) - This collection consists of photographs of H. L. Mencken, taken by Robert F. Kniesche, most likely in the early 1940s, when Mencken was in his early 60s.
- Miscellaneous Mencken Photographs - (finding aid) - Photographs of Mencken, his house, neighborhood, and important places in his life. Including a series of portraits by Baltimore photographer A. Aubrey Bodine.