What's Needed to get a Library Card?
Applicants must present a photo ID to get a library card. Proof of address is not required for the following IDs:
- Driver's license
- State-issued identification card
- City-issued municipal ID
- MTA ID
- Government-issued ID: Passport, Permanent Resident Card, Military, Department of Corrections, or Certificate of Citizenship/Naturalization
- School-issued ID: public school, private school, college or university
- Employer-issued ID
- Shelter ID
- Bank-issued photo ID: credit and debit cards
Students under 18 may present a recent report card or official document from their school to register for a library card if parent or guardian is not present.
Photo ID is preferred for registration. Applicants who do not have a photo ID may present one item from each of the following categories to get a library card. Both pieces of information must have the applicant’s name.
Acceptable non-photo ID:
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security card
- Health Insurance card
- Other official document with name
Acceptable piece of proof of address:
- Current lease
- Change of address card
- Most recent utility bill (dated within 60 days)
- Piece of mail (postmarked within 60 days)
- Letter from a shelter manager (dated within 60 days)
There are no age restrictions for library card applicants. However:
- Parents or guardians must sign library card applications for children under 7. All parents or guardians registering their child must have the child present at the time of the application.
- Parents or guardians who register their child for a library card are responsible for materials borrowed by those children.
- Parents or guardians are responsible for monitoring their children's access to Library resources, including the Internet.
Different Types of Library Card Accounts
The Pratt Library offers special cards and privileges to different age groups as well as to teachers and companies. Please see Types of Library Card Accounts for details.
Out of State Library Cards
Nonresidents may obtain a Pratt Library card with acceptable identification and payment of an annual $50.00 nonresident fee.
Nonresident applicants may send the completed application and a copy of their photo ID to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to (866) 676-0061, or mail to:
Enoch Pratt Free Library
400 Cathedral St.
Baltimore, MD 21201
Nonresident applicants must send a copy of valid identification, as listed above and a check for $50.00. Please call Central Circulation at (410) 396-5325 if you would like to pay online. The library card will be mailed to the applicant within 30 days.
Using Your Card at Other Maryland Libraries
The Pratt Library card may be used at public libraries throughout Maryland.
Anyone carrying a valid library card from another public library in Maryland may register that card with the Pratt Library. Additional identification with signature and address is required.
Keeping Your Card Updated
The Pratt Library card is permanent. The cardholder's name and address must be verified every two years in person. Exceptions are Firm, Non-Resident, and Teacher Cards which must be renewed annually.
If you change your name, address, or telephone number, it is necessary to come to the Library in person to update your record.
If your library card is lost or stolen, please notify the Library immediately or within 48 hours
(410-396-5325 or email@example.com).
The cardholder is responsible for any items borrowed until the loss of the card is reported. There is a $2.00 fee for a replacement card.