Donating Books, CDs, and other items - (Gift Policy)
The Library is currently unable to accept donations of materials due to COVID-19. Learn more about COVID-19 Policy Updates.
The Library receives many gifts of books, magazines, audio-books, videos, DVD’s, and compact discs. These gifts substantially enrich the library’s collections. However, gifts must meet the same criteria for selection that new, reviewed materials must
meet in order to be added to the Library’s collections.
Gifts are accepted with the following provisions:
- All gifts become the property of the Enoch Pratt Free Library and are subject to its policies and procedures.
- Materials in poor condition will not be accepted.
- The Library reserves the right to dispose of unneeded materials, including selling items at library book sales.
- The Library cannot appraise the value of materials received as gifts, either for estate evaluation or tax deductions.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse certain types of gifts, such as realia.
- The Library collects gifts ONLY in the areas of African-American Studies, Maryland History and Interest, H.L. Mencken and Edgar Allan Poe.