Public Computer Center Guidelines
Please observe the following guidelines while using the Public Computer Center at the Central Library.
- You will need either a library card or computer use card and a pin number that can be obtained at the Circulation Desk in the Central Library. Out of state visitors can obtain temporary visitor cards good for two hours of same day computer use from the Circulation Desk or the librarian in the Public Computer Center.
- You are limited to four total hours of computer time per day.
- Prior familiarity with the software programs is necessary. Some computer reference material is available. Library staff will be glad to assist as time allows, and appointments can be made for additional help.
- Game playing is not allowed in the Public Computer Center.
- Eating is not allowed in the Public Computer Center.
- Do not attempt to download and/or install software programs on library computers. If you do, you may lose library privileges.
- Please be mindful of others working in the Public Computer Center and keep voices low.
- Customers are encouraged to bring their own headphones. Sound from headphones should not be audible to other customers. Headphones may be purchased at the Circulation Desk for $1.50.
- If there is a problem with the computer, please notify staff.
- Save your work to portable USB drives (flash drives/jump drives). Flash drives may be purchased at the Circulation Desk for $6.50.
- When leaving the Computer Center mid-session, please lock the computer. PC Lock gives you 20 minutes before your session expires.
- Always End Session when finished to ensure your privacy.
- Five free black and white printouts are allowed per day. Additional printing costs ten cents per page. Money can be added to your card number on the APM machine.
Learn more about using SAM to lock your PC, end a session, print, and use the APM machine.
If you call the Center while the library is closed, or if the Center is particularly busy (at opening, for example), you will reach the Center's voice mail.
When leaving a voicemail, please leave the following information: the date and time that you want the reservation, the length of time that you need (two or four hours), the 14 digit number on your library card, and the phone number where you can receive confirmation of the reservation.
You may reserve for one time slot per day, and can only one reservation at a time. If you know that you are going to need more than one visit, you may make your next reservation when you come to the Public Computer Center. Your reservation will be held for 15 minutes. After that time, the computer may be assigned to another user.
Learn computer basics, job and career computer skills, and more with Pratt Library computer training.