Volunteering is a great way to get involved at the Enoch Pratt Free Library. Over 350 active volunteers help us carry out our mission to “support, empower, and enrich” our customers, and the Volunteer Program is an integral part of the library’s operation.
The Volunteer Services Office will strive to match your skills and interests to projects which suit your schedule and availability. Volunteer assignments may be short-term or long-term, and volunteers assist in the Central Library departments as well as the neighborhood branches. Volunteers also assist with special programs throughout the year.
- Sincere appreciation from library staff and customers for your time and hard work
- The opportunity to share your interests and abilities with your community
- Learn about the Pratt Library and its collections, and maintain the collections and information resources that serve your community
- Help to promote education and enrichment to the citizens of Baltimore
- Volunteer in an environment where you are respected and treated as a colleague
- Work with others who have similar interests
- An appreciation for and interest in books, the library, and the many different Baltimore neighborhoods that the library serves
- Must be at least 18 years old. If you are under 18 please visit the Community Youth Corps Program
- A willingness to plan a schedule with your supervisor and maintain it
Participation in the Volunteer Program is contingent upon the availability of volunteer positions. All candidates must fill out the Volunteer Application and Background Check forms, and a successful background check result is mandatory.
Special Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteer Corps ... our on call volunteers
The Enoch Pratt Free Library is looking for reliable individuals who would like to volunteer but are unable to make a regular commitment.
Join the on-call Volunteer Corps and be eligible to help at special programs and events. The Corps go through the regular volunteer process but are contacted for programs such as the Annual Book Sale, the Children’s Book Celebration, and other as-needed assignments. These programs often fall on the weekends. Members of the Volunteer Corps must volunteer at least twice a year to remain an active volunteer.
To apply please print, complete, and submit a Volunteer Application and Background Check form. Your application can be submitted to the Volunteer Services Office of the Enoch Pratt Free Library by mail, fax, or dropped off at any of our branches. You may also pick up an application at any of the branches.
Applications are accepted at all times and will remain on file. Volunteer applicants will be contacted when a position opens that matches their ability, skills and interests.
If you would like to volunteer at one of the neighborhood branches, you are encouraged to contact the branch directly to discuss volunteer opportunities.
Please do not complete the application if you are interested in volunteering to fulfill community service hours as we do not offer this program.
If you would like more information, have any questions, or would like an application mailed to you, please contact:
Pamela Potter-Hennessey, Volunteer Coordinator
Enoch Pratt Free Library
400 Cathedral Street, Baltimore, MD 21201