Welcome to the Enoch Pratt Free Library! We hope your visit to the Pratt Library is a positive one. Please follow these basic rules of courtesy and responsibility during your library visit.
- Respect the rights of other library customers by:
• Observing Library polices and these rules of conduct;
• Providing proper supervision of children in your care;
• Cooperating with Library staff who interpret and apply the rules;
• Avoiding behavior that disrupts the work of staff and customers;
• Using library computers appropriately, complying with the Library's Internet Policy, and respecting the privacy of others using nearby workstations;
• Using cell phones, pagers, laptops, and other communication devices in a manner that does not disturb others. (Please note that audible cell phone and pager ringers must be turned off.);
- For the comfort and safety of customers, volunteers and staff, and the protection of Library property, the following actions are examples of conduct not allowed on Library property:
a. Engaging in any activity in violation of federal, state, local or other applicable law, or Library policy including its Internet access policy;
b. Carrying firearms and dangerous weapons of any type;
c. Using audible electronic devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others;
d. Entering the library barefoot, without a shirt or being otherwise attired so as to be disruptive to the library
e. Creating disruptive noises such as loud talking, screaming, or banging on computer keyboards;
f. Mutilating, damaging, or defacing Library property;
g. Using obscene and/or abusive language;
h. Verbally or physically threatening or harassing other customers, volunteers or staff, including stalking, staring,
lurking, offensive touching and obscene acts such as sex acts or indecent exposure;
i. Gambling, card playing, or table games (unless part of a library program);
j. Fighting or throwing things;
k. Loitering on library premises, i.e. sitting or standing about, sleeping or lingering aimlessly;
l. Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using, or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs;
m. Smoking, chewing tobacco, or other tobacco use in the Library;
n. Carrying beverages without caps or lids in the Library or consuming food in the Library (unless part of a library
o. Moving library furniture from where it is placed by staff;
p. Using restrooms for bathing, doing laundry, or changing clothes;
q. Unauthorized selling of items or services, non-library fund raising, and soliciting of donations;
r. Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the Library.
- All library materials must be checked out before being removed from library premises.
- For the safety of all, Library staff reserve the right to inspect customer's briefcases, oversized handbags, backpacks, luggage, packages and shopping bags.
- Unless accompanied by an adult or guardian, children and young adults ages 6-15 must present written proof from school authorities excusing them from school in order to enter the library on school days from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Because Library resources are limited, some seating, equipment or areas may be designated for exclusive use by students, children or researchers. Time limits may be imposed on customers using this seating or equipment.
|Enforcement of these rules will be conducted in a fair and reasonable manner. Library staff, security officers or local police will intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors. Failure to comply with the Library's established rules, regulations and policies could result in removal from the premises for a period of one day to one year. Violations could also result in the restriction and/or termination of Library privileges, including the use of computers and other equipment.