Baltimore, we are here for you. We are pleased to offer Sidewalk Service, a contact-free way to check out and pick-up books and other materials from the Pratt Library.
Sidewalk Service at all locations will be unavailable from Friday, February 26 to Sunday, March 7 ahead of reopening to the public on Monday, March 8. Learn more.
Sidewalk Service is by appointment only. In addition to Sidewalk Service, you can also receive Pratt Library Books by Mail.
In addition to picking up materials from our catalog, you can find the following at Sidewalk Service locations:
Locations & Hours
New expanded locations & hours!
Sidewalk Service is now available at all Pratt locations, Monday - Saturday from 10 am - 4 pm.
How Sidewalk Service Works:
Step 1: Place a Hold
We recently increased checkout limits to 10 items each for DVDs, Audiobooks, music CDs, Blu-rays, and Playaways. Checkouts are still limited to 30 items total.
Step 2: Schedule a Pickup
All pickups must be scheduled with library staff. After you are contacted via email, text, or phone when your materials are ready to be picked up, call your pick-up location during operating hours to schedule your appointment.
You may also text us to schedule your appointment once you are notified that your items are ready. Message and data rates may apply. Please text the following keyword based on the pick-up location to (410) 807-8687 to begin:
|"BROOKLYN" for Brooklyn||"CANTON" for Canton|
|"CENTRAL" for Central||"CHERRY" for Cherry Hill|
|"CLIFTON" for Clifton||"EDMONDSON" for Edmondson Avenue|
|"FOREST" for Forest Park||"GOVANS" for Govans|
|"HAMILTON" for Hamilton||"HERRING" for Herring Run|
|"LIGHT" for Light Street||"NORTHWOOD" for Northwood|
|"ORLEANS" for Orleans Street||"PATTERSON" for Patterson|
|"PENNSYLVANIA" for Pennsylvania Avenue||"REISTERSTOWN" for Reisterstown Road|
|"ROLAND" for Roland Park||"SOUTHEAST" for Southeast Anchor|
|"WALBROOK" for Walbrook||"WASHINGTON" for Washington Village|
|"WAVERLY" for Waverly|
A staff member at your selected location will respond to schedule your appointment. To change your pick-up location, text the new keyword and your message will be transferred to the new location. Please note that if you receive hold notifications via text, the number (beginning with 888) is a do-not-reply line. Use (410) 807-8687 to schedule your appointment and announce your arrival.
Step 3: Arrive at Scheduled Time & Location
When you arrive at the library location, follow the signs to the area for Sidewalk Service. At most locations, this will be a table set up outside the branch.
Once you have arrived at the Sidewalk Service location, follow these procedures:
- Call the telephone number listed on the sign or reply "I'm here" to the appointment confirmation. Staff will verify your account information over the phone using your library card number.
- All customers approaching the table must be wearing a face covering or mask.
- At the pick-up table, you must remain standing on social distancing markers on the ground in front of the table. Library staff will place library materials in a bag on the table, and step back six feet.
- Once the staff member has stepped back you can collect your materials off the table.
Step 4: Return Materials
- Books and materials should be returned to the contact-free book drops available outside at all Pratt locations.
- To return Computer & Internet Devices or Teen Library of Things items, please make a Sidewalk Service appointment.
- Please note, during the quarantine period for sanitization, materials will still show in your account at least two (2) days after they are returned. This does not affect your checkout times.
Sanitation & Quarantine
The Pratt Library is following best practices provided by the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) by quarantining all incoming materials for 48 hours.
Staff will begin checking in items after the 48 hour quarantine period is complete. Depending on the day and time returned, you should expect to see items removed from your account within one (1) week. If items are still showing on your account after one week, please contact the library where you returned your materials. You may still enjoy your full borrowing period as items are backdated in our system to account for this delay.
Your Pratt Library card now gives you access to a contact-free, remote printing service.