Sidewalk Service is available by appointment to pick up books or other and other reserved materials from the Pratt Library.
Welcome Back Inside
We are excited to welcome you back into Pratt Library buildings! All locations are open at 25% capacity for limited services, including browsing and computer use. Learn more about the Library Reopening.
We offer various ways to pick up and return Pratt Library materials.Pick-ups and Returns
Sidewalk Service Appointments
We recognize that some customers may not be ready or able to come to the counter inside the library, so we are continuing Sidewalk Service by appointment. Baltimore City residents can also receive Pratt Library Books by Mail.
In addition to picking up materials from our catalog, you may request to pick up the following:
How Sidewalk Service Works:
Step 1: Place a Hold
Sidewalk Service is available at all Pratt locations by appointment during business hours. Appointments are available until one hour before closing.
Step 2: Schedule a Pickup
All pickups must be scheduled with library staff. After you are contacted via email, text, or phone when your materials are ready to be picked up, call your pick-up location during operating hours to schedule your appointment.
At the locations listed below, you may also text to schedule your appointment once you are notified that your items are ready. Message and data rates may apply.
If your pick-up location is not listed below, please call the library location instead. Text the following keyword based on the pick-up location to (410) 807-8687 to begin:
|"CENTRAL" for Central|
|"ROLAND" for Roland Park|
|"SOUTHEAST" for Southeast Anchor|
A staff member at your selected location will respond to schedule your appointment. To change your pick-up location, text the new keyword and your message will be transferred to the new location. Please note that if you receive hold notifications via text, the number (beginning with 888) is a do-not-reply line. Use (410) 807-8687 to schedule your appointment and announce your arrival.
Step 3: Arrive at Scheduled Time & Location
Once you have arrived at the Sidewalk Service location, follow these procedures:
- Call the telephone number listed on the sign or reply "I'm here" to the appointment confirmation. Staff will verify your account information over the phone using your library card number.
- All customers approaching staff must be wearing a face covering or mask.
- At the pick-up location, follow signs for social distancing.
- Library staff will come to the doorway and hand your materials to you.
Step 4: Return Materials
- Books and materials should be returned to the contact-free book drops available outside at all Pratt locations.
- To return Computer & Internet Devices or Teen Library of Things items, please make arrangements to return them to staff in person.
- Please note, during the quarantine period for sanitation, materials will still show in your account at least two (2) days after they are returned. This does not affect your checkout times.
Sanitation & Quarantine
The Pratt Library is following best practices provided by the Maryland Department of Health (MDH) by quarantining all incoming materials for 48 hours.
Staff will begin checking in items after the 48 hour quarantine period is complete. Depending on the day and time returned, you should expect to see items removed from your account within one (1) week. If items are still showing on your account after one week, please contact the library where you returned your materials. You may still enjoy your full borrowing period as items are backdated in our system to account for this delay.
Your Pratt Library card now gives you access to a contact-free, remote printing service.