Maryland poets, achieve fame through this FREE contest!
The winning poem will be published in Poet Lore, enlarged for display in a Central Library show window, and featured in a reading at the CityLit Festival. The winning poet will also receive a free two-year subscription to Poet Lore.
Runners-up may be considered for publication in Poet Lore.
- Entrants must be Maryland residents, 18 or older.
- Paid or volunteer staff of the Enoch Pratt Free Library and Poet Lore and their immediate families are not eligible, nor are previous Pratt Library Poetry Contest winners.
- Please send only one original poem, on any theme and in any form, for consideration.
- Your entry must be unpublished, either in print or on the Web, including personal blogs, Facebook, or Twitter.
It cannot be currently under review for possible publication.
- Your entry must not exceed 100 lines.
- Submit your typed entry as a Microsoft Word attachment by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to:
Poetry Contest, Periodicals Department, Pratt Library, 400 Cathedral St, Baltimore MD 21201-4484.
- Entries received after 5 p.m. on February 7, 2014, will be disqualified.
- Name, address, phone number, and the submitted poem’s title must accompany the entry on a separate page.
- Confirmation of receipt and comments on your entry will not be provided, nor will your entry be returned to you.
- For the purpose of display in the Pratt Central Library window, the winning poem may be excerpted.
Poetry Contest flyer: download and print to share
The winner will be announced on this page by April 2014.