Maryland poets, achieve fame through this FREE contest! The winning poem will be published in Poet Lore, enlarged
for display in a Central Library show window, and honored at a reading
at the Central Library. Runners-up may be considered for publication in Poet Lore.
- Entrants must be Maryland residents, 18 or older.
- Paid or volunteer staff of the Enoch Pratt Free Library and Poet Lore and their immediate families are not eligible, nor are previous Pratt Library Poetry Contest first-place winners.
- Please send only one original poem, on any theme and in any form, for consideration.
- Your entry must be unpublished, either in print or on the Web, including personal blogs, Facebook, or Twitter. It cannot be currently under review for possible publication.
- Your entry must not exceed 100 lines.
- Submit your typed entry as a Microsoft Word attachment by e-mail to email@example.com or by mail to: Poetry Contest, Fiction Department, Pratt Library, 400 Cathedral St, Baltimore MD 21201-4484.
- Entries received after March 1, 2017, will be disqualified.
- Name, address, phone number, and the submitted poem’s title must accompany the entry on a separate page.
- Confirmation of receipt and comments on your entry will not be provided, nor will your entry be returned to you.
- For the purpose of display in the Pratt Central Library window, the winning poem may be excerpted.
*The winner will be announced on this page in mid-April.*
Interested in past winners? Check out the poems that won in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.
Print and share a Poetry Contest flyer (PDF).