Services for People with Visual Disabilities
- Large print books (fiction and non-fiction) are housed in the Fiction Department of the Central Library. Some branches also have large print collections and others can borrow from the Central Library. Search for large print books here
- Books-on-Tape and Books-on-CD are available at all Pratt locations.
- The following assistive devices for persons with visual disabilities are available at the Central Library and some branches:
- CCTV magnifier (SmartView Xtend) which magnifies a book or document onto a screen, in black letters on a white field, white letters on a black field, or in color.
- SARA reading machine which reads aloud text from a book or document. Earphones are included.
- Computers with assistive software to access the Internet, all the Pratt Library databases, and Microsoft Office. ZoomText software magnifies and makes computer screens audible. Earphones are included.
- Magnifying glasses are available in several departments for public use.
All of these services are available during the Library's regular hours. For information on which locations offer these services, call 410-396-5430.
Services for People who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing
- Regular telephone service is provided through TTYs (teletypewriter) at the Central Library.
The TTY telephone numbers are:
- Telephone Reference Service, 410-396-3761
- Human Resources, 410-545-7578
- A public TTY/pay phone is available at the Central Library.
- The Sights and Sounds Department has closed-caption videos and DVDs for loan as well as a variety of sign language learning videotapes and DVDs.
- For public events, the Wheeler Auditorium has an audio loop amplification system which can help augment sound for those persons wearing hearing aids.
- Sign language interpretation for Library programs is available on request.
- The Library can also provide information on sign language interpreters in the area.
Access to all Pratt agencies can also be obtained through Maryland Relay by dialing #711 or 1-800-735-2258.
All of these services are available during the Library's regular hours. For information, call 410-396-5430.
Books By Mail
Books by Mail are sent to homebound library customers who reside in the
City of Baltimore. To initiate this service, contact the Circulation Department at 410-396-5325.
Wheelchair-Accessible Library Locations