How To Use SAM
Please check with a staff member if you have problems signing in.
More about SAM
How to Use SAM
Before you begin - If you think you may need to print anything, go to the APM (Automated Payment Machine) and add money to your account or add money online using your credit card. No change is given, so only add the amount of money you want to use to your account.
- Go to the Reserve a PC computer station and swipe your library card or enter your library card number (on the back of your card)
- Make sure your card number appears on the screen. Note which PC you are assigned to.
- At your assigned PC, enter your library card number and your PIN.* SAM authenticates that number by comparing it with the library's circulation database, and begins a time-limited session for you on that computer.
- Read and accept Library Computer Use Policy.
- Click on [OK].
- Always click on [End Session] when you are finished to protect your privacy.
*Don't know your PIN? Ask for help at the circulation desk.
Your Computer Session Time
Once you log on, a Personal Session Manager appears.
(Click [Minimize] to move it to the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.)
- Time Remaining tells you how much time you have.
- An Inactivity Warning shows if your PC is idle for too long.
- Timeout warnings appear before your session will end.
- Always click [End Session] when you are finished.
- Library Is Closing warnings display before the library closes.
- You are limited to four (4) total hours of computer time per day, regardless of location.
To Lock Your Computer Session
Lock Computer allows you to save your current computer session if you need to leave for a few minutes (to pick up a printed document, ask the librarian a question, use the restroom, etc.)
From your Personal Session Manager
- Simply click the [Lock Computer] button.
- This Workstation is Locked screen will appear.
- To unlock the PC, enter your library card number and click [Unlock Workstation].
- Important: Your time will continue to count down when your PC is locked.
Printing with SAM
SAM lets you see a list of all your print jobs prior to printing.
- Use Print Preview to see how many pages you are about to print.
- SAM Print Manager shows Current Account Balance, Total Number of Free Pages, Total Number of Pages, Price per Page, and Total Amount Owed.
- You get five (5) free pages per day (no free pages with a visitor's pass).
- After the free printouts, prints cost 10 (ten) cents per page.
- Use the APM to add money to your account, or add money online using your credit card.
Please remember to end your session before you leave the computer!