Visit Pratt Electronic News Stand for access to digital periodicals the library subscribes to (also lists titles only available in print). Callaloo, Black Elegance, African Arts, African American Review, and International Review of African American Art are examples of ones accessible online. Library card number is required to access remotely (outside of the library).
- Artcyclopedia: Artists by Nationality: African-American Artists
- Provides links to websites with information about the artists, such as those of museums and public art galleries that host their work. Drawbacks include the "Picture from Image Archives" feature which performs keyword searches via popular search engines (e.g. Google, Flickr, Bing), and therefore routinely returns irrelevant images.
- Culture Type
- Blog of an enthusiast that offers reviews of books and catalogs, highlights relevant magazine articles, announces exhibitions, and features exclusive interviews.
- Indiana University Art Museum - African American Art collection
- Includes sample prints, drawings, conceptual works and photographs from 14 African American artists, as well as descriptions of the works, and biographical information about the artist.
- International Review of African American Art Archive
- Allows a keyword search of articles available online. A journal from the Museum of African American Art (Santa Monica, CA) and Hampton University.
- National Gallery of Art - African American Artists Collection Highlights
- "Offers commentary on a selection of twenty-three paintings, works on paper, and sculptures ranging from a still-life painting ... to modern and contemporary pieces ..." Click here to view in a format that offers additional information under the categories of Artist Information, Bibliography, Exhibition History, Location, and Provenance.
- Questioning the Canon: some works by contemporary African American artists at the Baltimore Museum of Art
- Eighteen works and accompanying descriptions present "alternative narratives" that "address the foundations of traditional Western art".
- Smithsonian - Encyclopedia
- Offers online exhibitions, fact sheets, activities & games, and more. Use the column on the left to limit by topic (e.g. African American History and Culture, Africa History and Culture, and African Art), or search by keyword, category, or format .
- Smithsonian- Archives of American Art- Research Collections
- Includes fully digitized collections (i.e. artists' papers, etc.), oral history interviews, and an image and media gallery. Click on "Collections by Topic" in order to browse using the limiter "African American".
- Swann Galleries - African American Fine Art
- Offers past catalogues from this auction house. Presents in magazine format with many images of artwork alongside descriptions of it and its artist, if viewed in the 3-D option. Solely recommended for research purposes.
- African-American History and Culture
- This electronic encyclopedia includes thousand of entries covering the entire breadth of African-American history - from African beginnings through the slave trade and the Civil Rights Movement to the present. Entries are organized into five sections: Biographies, Encyclopedia, Historical Documents, Gallery and Maps and Charts. Each entry is cross-referenced through hyperlinks and searchable by topic, by historical era, and by keyword.
Maintained by the staff of the
African American Department,
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library