- In addition to including searchable access to the Compact Oxford English Dictionary, this site features many other helpful resources for writers and students. The site is divided into several sections: Ask the Experts, World of Words, Better Writing, Games, Global English, and Foreign Languages. Each area has features, such as the “borrowings into English," in the Global English section. This section allows the user to click on a map and see what words from the chosen country have been adopted into the English language. Other resources are just as enjoyable, interesting and practical.
- Merriam-Webster Online
- This searchable Web version of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary (10th Edition) is made available by Merriam-Webster, Inc. Provides clear definitions, etymology, the date of first use, links to definitions of synonyms, and a pronunciation key.
- OneLook Dictionary Search
- With just one search, scour hundreds of general and specialized dictionaries available on the Web. Results include a link to the definition, as well as the name of and a link to the dictionary. The list of dictionaries searched, arranged by subject, is also provided, and can be used to identify specialized dictionaries.
- RhymeZone Rhyming Dictionary and Thesaurus
- Enter a word and search for rhymes, homophones, or synonyms. The spell check feature allows you to find words with similar spellings.
- Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1913 & 1828 Editions
- The Web versions provide definitions, pronunciation, and an example of usage for each word. Available as part of the ARTFL Project at the University of Chicago. An interesting way to find out how word meanings have changed over time.
maintained by the staff of the
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library