- Crisis At Fort Sumter
- "Crisis at Fort Sumter is an interactive historical simulation and decision making program. Using text, images, and sound, it reconstructs the dilemmas of policy formation and decision making in the period between Abraham Lincoln's election in November 1860 and the battle of Fort Sumter in April 1861 . . . . The program begins with the period following Lincoln's election, during which time the problem of secession and southern independence were tackled in ways that influenced the later predicament at Sumter." - Intro. This unique and intriguing site is hosted by Tulane University.
- Mr. Lincoln's White House
- "President Abraham Lincoln himself once called it 'this damned house,' and when he was besieged by office seekers and afflicted by bad news from the war front, the White House must have seemed truly damned." - Intro. In time, however, the Lincolns grew to appreciate their new quaters. The Lincoln Institute sponsors this fascinating insider's view of the executive mansion during the tumultuous war years.
- Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion
- Cornell University hosts the online edition of one of the largest and most important compilations of naval materials dealing with the War. The site is searchable and browsable.
- Southern Homefront
- " 'The Southern Homefront, 1861-1865,' documents Southern life during the Civil War, especially the unsuccessful attempt to create a viable nation state as evidenced in both private and public life. 'Homefront' includes over four hundred digitized and encoded contemporary printed works and manuscripts, accompanied by ca. 1,000 images of currency, manuscript letters, maps, broadsides, title pages, illustrations, and photographs." - Intro. Homefront is part of the University of North Carolina's respected Documenting the American South Collections.
- United States Civil War Center: Index of Civil War Information on the Internet
- The Center is based at Louisiana State Univeristy and aims to index every Civil War link on the Web. It should be a major stop for all Internet researchers interested in the War.
- War of the Rebellion: a Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies
- Cornell University hosts the online edition of one of the largest and most significant compilations of resources dealing with the War. The site is searchable and browsable.
maintained by the staff of the
Social Science & History Department,
State Library Resource Center,
Enoch Pratt Free Library