Planning a Visit
Welcome to the Special Collections of the
Enoch Pratt Free Library. This Department is a non-circulating,
closed stack area of the Enoch Pratt Free Library, but visitors and
researchers are welcome during all open hours.
For research purposes
appointments are strongly recommended.
Getting Ready for Your Visit
- Researchers will be asked to read and sign the Registration Form before starting their work.
- Personal property will be checked with the librarian and placed in a secure area. No bags may be used at the Reading Room desk.
Reading Room Policies
- Materials must be used in the Special Collections Department;
however, arrangements can sometimes be made to use them in the Maryland
Department if given advanced notice.
- Researchers may use pencils, notebooks, and laptops. Pens are not allowed.
- Digital cameras may be used for research and private study as long as in accordance with copyright restrictions. It is the sole
responsibility of the customer to determine whether their use is fair
and to obtain any permissions from the copyright holder if necessary.
- Please notify the librarian on duty before taking pictures.
- Flash must be OFF.
- No items may be removed from the Reading Room without prior authorization from the Special Collections Librarian.
- No food, drink, or gum is allowed in the Special Collections Reading Room.
- All material must be handled with care to ensure their preservation.
- We ask that researchers not lean on, write on, fold, trace from, or handle items in any way that may likely damage them.
- Please keep materials in their original order and do not remove them
from folders. If you notice anything that is out of order, please
notify the librarian on staff.
- Gloves may be required when handling some materials (ex. photographs).
- Materials that are extremely rare and/or fragile may not be
available for viewing. Special arrangements may be possible upon
Using our Collections
- When citing any items in Special Collections, please use the
following line: [Collection Name] Special Collections, Enoch Pratt Free
Library/Maryland’s State Library Resource Center.
- Enoch Pratt Free Library does not assume any responsibility for the
infringement of copyright held by the author or heirs of Special
Collections materials. It is the responsibility of the researcher to
obtain permission for publishing quotations or excerpts from any Special
Collections materials from the holder of the copyright.