Summer Reading for Children: Fizz! Boom! Read!
Who: Anyone: babies to rising 5th graders
What: A free program that gives you prizes just for reading
When: May 31-August 2, 2014
Where: All Enoch Pratt Free Library locations
Why: It's free, fun, and you can Read Down Your Fines!
How: See below for guidelines on two age groups
How it works for Read-to-Me (kids birth through preschool)
- Go to your local library and ask to sign up for the Summer Reading Program. At sign-up, you’ll receive a reading log and can enter a raffle to win tickets to an Orioles game. For every day that you read a book or share a literacy activity together, you can check off or color in that day.
- After you’ve completed 7 days of reading or activities, come back to the library to get a prize.
- Once you’ve completed 35 days in the reading log, bring it back to the library to earn your t-shirt, an invitation to the end of Summer Reading party at your local library, and are entered in the raffle to win four tickets to the Aquarium on Library Night.
- Keep reading! At 49 days, you get a free book as a bonus prize! In addition, for every 7 additional days you read after 35 you get an extra chance to win tickets to the Aquarium.
Possible prizes include Fizz, Boom, Read T-shirts, scientist rubber ducks, and tickets to an Orioles game or the Aquarium! Prizes are available while supplies last.
How it works for K-5 (kids entering kindergarten through fifth grade)
Go to your local library and ask to sign up for the Summer Reading Program. At sign-up, you’ll receive a reading log and can enter a raffle to win tickets to an Orioles game. Read for at least fifteen minutes every day. On your reading log, find the date and record the number of minutes that you read. The ultimate goal is to read at least 15 minutes a day for 35 days during the program.
- At 35 days, you receive a free t-shirt, invitation to the end of Summer Reading party, and are entered in the raffle to win four tickets to the Aquarium on Library Night.
- In addition, for every day of reading you complete, you earn 1 Pratt Buck to put toward prizes!
- There are prizes worth 7 Pratt Bucks, 21 Pratt Bucks, and 49 Pratt Bucks.
- Keep on reading! For every 7 additional days you read after 35 you get an extra chance to win tickets to the Aquarium.
Possible prizes include T-shirts, headphones, light-up dragonflies, binoculars, gliders, rainbow loom kits, and tickets to an Orioles game or the Aquarium! Prizes are available while supplies last.
Don't know what to read?
Ask your librarian for suggestions, pick up a bookmark designed by Baltimore city kids, or check out our summer reading suggestions by age level:
Summer Reading and Read Down Fines
The Pratt Bucks that you earn for prizes for Summer Reading also count equally for taking fines off your library card. Kids participating in the Read to Me program can also earn Pratt Bucks to Read Down Your Fines. Ask your librarian for more information.
Look at how many kids have already signed up: 7544
How many days they have read: 58826
And how many people have already read 35 days this summer: 2353
Copyright Statement: CSLP art/graphics are copyrighted for exclusive use by CSLP members and are used by permission.
Copying or reproducing these CSLP art/graphics in any way by non-CSLP members is prohibited.